Thursday, May 15, 2008

Social networking etc.

Unfortunately at the time when I had to do this final part of the course the only site I could get to open ( not yet full moon?, something to do with our IT?, sunspots? passing aliens?) of the social networking variety was the Roturua site, and this definitely evoked "We're not in Kansas anymore, Toto" feelings. I also remember a comment made by one of the presenters at the Library Web 2.0 colloquium in Brisbane earlier this year that in regard to the students of the uni. where she worked "they don't want us in their space",and the mere suggestion had invoked the response "creepy". It was noticeable that she herself was definitely of the 2.0 generation.
However, I'll leave it as a generational thing and in pusuit of that thought close with a quote from that delightful book I wrote about on my Google.doc, Scott Douglas's Quiet Please: Dispatches from a Public Librarian, Philadelphia , De Capo/Perseus, 2008. Even though Douglas graduated in 2001 he does say"MySpace is a great tool. Just not in the library" but he does go on to say "What I learned from it was there was an entire world of librarians my age and even younger...We talked about random things, from best film to feature a librarian to should food be allowed in the library? We encouraged each other becuse we knew we were the future. We were the ones who had to come up with the ideas to take the library to the next level."p.209.

1 comment:

pls@slnsw said...

Congratulations! Thanks for sharing all your thoughts and ideas along the way.

Leanne